But the cause of the spinoff's disappointing performance may have had as much to do with Star Wars fatigue (The Last Jedi exited theaters just last month) and the stiffer competition of a summer holiday weekend. Three-day opening estimates are now sitting at $82 million, well below the $108.4 million "Revenge of the Sith" made in its first weekend. Rogue One brought in $155 million during its three-day opening weekend in 2016. However, while we wait to find out more about the movie, the next chapter in the Star Wars saga, Solo: A Star Wars Story, is now in theaters.
Solo also comes as the fourth Star Wars movie in less than three years, and its soft opening might be a sign of franchise fatigue.
Mangold past year brought prestige to the super hero genre with Logan, which he co-wrote and directed; the movie was produced by Kinberg.
We now know that L3-37, the rebellious droid with a fierce attitude and a focus on liberation, becomes the heart of the Millennium Falcon in Solo: A Star Wars Story. And if you don't know what they want, it's time to find someone in charge who does.
Disney has not yet confirmed the report and there is no information on release dates, cast or when in the "Star Wars" timeline the film will take place. The most recent "Star Wars" installment, "The Last Jedi", opened internationally in December 2017 with $230 million and went on to generate $712 million overseas.
The second weekend for Deadpool 2 will see it drop to #2 with $54.5 million from 4,349 theaters, giving it an 11-day total of $220 million.
The Star Wars film has broken a Memorial Day weekend record despite these low estimations.
Other rumored anthology films include a Yoda movie and Obi-Wan Kenobi movie. Lots of things have changed since 2018, when you are reading this. We have a "Thor" and a "Black Panther" and an "Infinity War" coming out in November and February and May and each are massively successful. I'd certainly argue it has more flavor than many a Disney/Marvel movie that've received far more glowing reviews.
If "Solo" was a better movie, this would all be moot.
- Andy Rubin selling Essential, stopping second phone work
- China’s License to Participate in 2018 RIMPAC Revoked by the Pentagon
- Rockets look to close out Warriors without Paul
- Serena Williams to be unseeded at French Open
- Vegas Computer’s Score Prediction For Tonight’s Game 7
- Meghan Markle has already changed the way we think about race
- Trump demands 'total transparency' from Justice Department about Federal Bureau of Investigation informant
- Zidane makes a big decision with Bale ahead of UCL final
- Milwaukee police apologize for arrest, tasing of National Basketball Association player
- USA in 'productive talks' about reinstating June North Korea summit, says Trump