Singer H.E.R. also received five nods for her self-titled 2017 album, including Best New Artist and Album of the Year.
The 2019 Grammy Award nominees were announced on Friday, with some of music's biggest names at the top of the list.
Noah Shebib, another one of Drake's collaborators, is recognized with four nominations for songs from the Scorpion album. They both are nominated in the album, record and song of the year categories.
The American artiste was announced as the top contender with eight nominations, including seven for his musical composition for the Marvel Studio's Black Panther. Drake notched nods for Album, Record and Song of the Year for his double LP "Scorpion", and the first of its No. 1 singles, "God's Plan".
Cardi B, coming off a phenomenal year, Lady Gaga, actor Donald Glover's music moniker Childish Gambino, and country-pop star Maren Morris each had five nominations overall. Giving "Rockstar" a "Record of the Year" nomination makes ideal sense; it's a flawless song.
Beyonce and Jay-Z, billed as The Carters, as well Ariana Grande, didn't earn any of the big nominations. West, who has never won a Grammy in a major category, was also nominated for just one Grammy, for best non-classical producer.
Kendrick Lamar Received The Most 2019 Grammy Nominations
Dallas' Annie Clark, better known as St. Vincent, received two nominations, for Best Alternative Music Album for "Masseduction" and for Best Rock Song (shared with Jack Antonoff) for the album's title track.
- Best new artist: Chloe x Halle; Luke Combs; Greta Van Fleet; H.E.R.; Dua Lipa; Margo Price; Bebe Rexha; Jorja Smith. However, like every other year, there are still some surprises, as well as major snubs.
"Dirty Computer", Monae's third full-length album, features the singer and guitarist working behind-the-scenes to craft the right songs and style: "I did produce and engineer a lot of this record". Or how about Drake just becoming the number one selling artist in the US of all-time according to RIAA.
Mac Miller, who died in September, earned a nomination for best rap album with "Swimming".
Following the testosterone jamboree of the 2018 Grammys, all industry eyes were on the 2019 nominations, anticipating something approaching gender equality. When the awards are actually handed out at the 61st annual ceremony (Feb. 10, 2019, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles), we'll see if the pumping up of nominees is just window dressing.
Lamar has won 12 Grammys throughout his career.
- Priyanka and Nick to host Mumbai Reception on this date
- Kensington Palace denies rift between Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton
- New 'Game of Thrones' Teaser Promises Icy Battle
- Here are the nominees for the 2019 Golden Globe Awards
- Clashes as yellow vest protests grow in Belgium, Netherlands
- Cabinet shake-up: Trump picks attorney general, United Nations envoy
- Saskatchewan doesn't plan to follow Alberta's oil production cuts, says Moe
- China's Huawei finance chief arrested in Canada, faces extradition to US
- US Senate to declare MbS 'complicit' in Khashoggi death
- Jesse Lingard 'raring to go' for Man United after fitness issues