People took to Twitter and other platforms to complain that 4G data had stopped working, making it hard for them to get online. However, neither Ericsson or O2 have given any indication of when the problems might be fixed.
The hotspot may well be legitimate, perhaps in a café wanting to provide a service for its customers. As stated in the Evening Standard report, customers using London's cycle docking stations were also unable to hire out bikes due to the communication outage. The O2 outage is just one more example of how important machine identities are to the economy and when they fail everything from buses, mobile devices and more fail. O2 was "terribly sorry" for any problems caused.
The machines, which were covered up following the network problems, were back up and running on Friday morning.
The issue took down the O2 Network in the UK. "Now using my WiFi", wrote one user.
The issue was reported to have been caused by a software fault identified by a third-party supplier.
"During the course of December 6, most of the affected customers' network services have been successfully restored", Ericsson continued. Certificates are software keys that enable certain functionality, but they can require occasional updates so that they don't expire, something Swedish owned telecommunication equipment manufacturer Ericsson didn't do.
Although there is no official confirmation of which supplier this might be, the FT has sources which point the finger towards Ericsson.
Sky Mobile customers will get a day's worth of free unlimited United Kingdom data on Saturday (Shenzhen: 002291.SZ - news). The carrier supplies network to Giffgaff, Tesco, Lycamobile, Sky, and other companies as well. As a result, some 32 million people were without cellular service, and had to resort to Wi-Fi where possible.
"But they expire and networks, allocations and businesses fail". It means the data blackout is affecting tens of millions of customers across the country. Ofcom states that in cases where you have been without service for some time, you may also have the right to leave the contract without penalty. The system is not working now.
- Priyanka and Nick to host Mumbai Reception on this date
- Lead singer of The Buzzcocks Pete Shelley dead at 63
- Diogo Dalot: Manchester United hosting Fulham a 'big game' after winless run
- New 'Game of Thrones' Teaser Promises Icy Battle
- Top House Dems raise prospect of impeachment, jail for Trump
- Samsung Galaxy A8s gets Wi-Fi Alliance certification ahead of launch
- Jesse Lingard 'raring to go' for Man United after fitness issues
- Arsenal's Rob Holding out for up to nine months
- Kensington Palace denies rift between Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton
- Australia vs India: Virat Kohli constantly in Tim Paine's ears