In-form Sterling was the surprise omission from Guardiola's first XI to take on Marco Silva's Toffees in Saturday's early kick-off.
City react as expected to push the pressure Liverpool's way. But it might be a while before they see themselves back in the Champions League. The win was a must to crank up the heat on Liverpool ahead of their clash with Manchester United on Sunday, and they duly delivered.
De Bruyne was City's standout performer in their dominant 100-point season last time around and went on to star in Belgium's run to the World Cup semi-finals, scoring decisively in the 2-1 quarter-final triumph over Brazil. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. The Brazilian linked up well with the impressive Sane and worked hard throughout.
Since Manchester City cannot play fellow English sides, they are likely to meet Atletico, Schalke and Roma in the last 16. Calvert-Lewin rose the highest and nodded in, via a deflection off Delph, after 65 minutes.
Sterling had only been on the pitch for three minutes before he headed in from Fernandinho's cross. Even if the club reluctantly let go of Richarlison, chances are they will make a substantial profit which they can then reinvest into the playing squad.
Sané assisted both of Gabriel Jesus' goals.
Everton are now 7th in the Premier League, two points behind Manchester United.
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola spoke of his "admiration" for Raheem Sterling after the England worldwide scored his first goal since being engulfed in a race row at Chelsea last weekend.
MF Kevin De Bruyne, N/R - His first Premier League minutes of the season.
- Bitcoin bomb threat goes global as scam expands to Canada
- May to meet European Union leaders in bid to save Brexit deal
- These are the most popular Google searches of 2018
- Journalists, paper are TIME's Person of the Year
- Doomed May wins confidence vote but at heavy cost
- OPEC and Russian Federation agreed to output cut, despite USA pressure
- OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition vs OnePlus 6T
- Corker to introduce resolution holding Saudi crown prince 'responsible' for Khashoggi's death
- How Trump's statements on hush money have shifted as investigation progressed
- Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino: I prefer Real Madrid links to sack talk