Nintendo Switch was the best selling console previous year but it is coming towards the middle of it's lifespan.
The report also pointed out that one of the models will be more affordable than the other version. The outlet's sources did say, however, that the company will cut vibration from the cheaper model to keep costs down.
One of these new Switch models will sport "enhanced" features, and it's designed for "avid" gamers.
Nintendo has not yet announced anything about new Nintendo Switch models.
It's been one of the great gaming successes of Nintendo's storied career, so it should come as no surprise that the house of Mario is allegedly working on new Nintendo Switch consoles. Such offerings aren't without precedent for Nintendo; the 2DS is an intentional "downgrade" of the 3DS, delivering a cheaper and more friendly option aimed at the younger segment of Nintendo's audience. The Wall Street Journal cites both parts suppliers and software developers in their report.
The consoles will allegedly have new designs, rather than being just higher or lower-performance hardware housed in similar-looking cases.
Eurogamer's sources claim that an nearly identical approach is being taken with the cheaper Switch variant, and they hint that it could even lose the ability to dock and connect with TVs. A Nintendo representative declined to comment when approached by WSJ.
"If the article is accurate, this would support our forecast of virtually flat" year-on-year Switch sales next fiscal year, Masahiro Ono and Yui Yasumoto, analysts at Morgan Stanley MUFG, wrote in a research note after the story. This might seem like an odd move, but then so was stripping 3D from the 3DS - and Nintendo did that.
- Jadon Sancho grateful for England team-mate Raheem Sterling’s guidance
- Sen Lindsey Graham leads Republicans demanding full Mueller report released in full
- North Dakota State gets First Four win
- Netflix Testing a Mobile-Only Subscription Plan in India, Confirms Streaming Service
- Apple updates news app, digital wallet; set to enter video streaming
- Huawei P30 Pro: yay or nay?
- Student tragedies highlight need for Stoneman Douglas survivors to seek help
- Michael Avenatti arrested on federal charges stemming from two separate cases
- Mueller report beef delivered to Barr: Darcy cartoon
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service