German Chancellor Angela Merkel speaks with members of the Jewish community at a vigil outside the New Synagogue in Berlin, October 9, 2019. Shots were also reportedly fired in Landsberg, but it's not clear if the incidents are connected.
They did not give any further information.
Halle police said they have a person in custody but have yet to identify the suspect.
Hundreds of special anti-terror police personnel had joined the hunt to arrests suspects in the cities of Halle and Leipzig. The German daily Tagesspiegel, citing security sources, reports that the police consider the shooter to be a "lone wolf attacker".
German public broadcaster MDR aired a video showing a man wearing a helmet and an olive-colored jacket getting out of a vehicle and firing four shots with a long-barreled gun. News agency dpa reported the body was lying opposite a synagogue, about 30 meters (yards) from the building.
"We barricaded the doors from inside and waited for the police", he said, adding that about 70 to 80 people were inside the synagogue observing Yom Kippur, known as the Day of Atonement which is marked by fasting and solemn prayer.
An employee at a nearby business, which has a clear view of the synagogue, told CNN that they heard several shots around 12:15 p.m. local time (6:15 a.m. ET).
"(The attacker) shot at least once in the shop, the man behind me must be dead. About five or six customers were, he said, with him inside and panic broke out. "I hid in the toilet".
"The others looked for the back entrance". I heard another loud bang outside, screaming but I don't know what it was. He said feminism was responsible for Western countries' declining birth rates which are then used as an excuse for mass immigration.
Police block a street near the shooting scene in Halle, Germany.
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- USA won't take part in Turkey's Syria operation, says White House
- Serial Killer Admitting To 90+ Murders Includes 3 Arkansas Women
- Donald Trump calls for impeachment of his GOP Senator Mitt Romney
- Johnson tells United States to return diplomat's wife who killed teenager
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Washington's Bill Callahan: Dwayne Haskins not a candidate to start at quarterback
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Defoe strengthens Euros case