Tsitsipas had a first break-point opportunity in the seventh game, but the 16-time grand slam champion prevented the world number seven from getting back on serve and took the opening set in just over half an hour. He was backing up his serve with a really good and aggressive first shots. "I started well in the first set, but I wasn't sharp enough".
"I was playing really defensive earlier in the year and not with a lot of confidence".
Berrettini, seeded 11th, dispatched Austria's Dominic Thiem 7-6 (8), 6-4 in the last quarterfinal on Friday to secure a place in the last four.
(AP Photo/Andy Wong) Novak Djokovic of Serbia waves to spectators as he leaves the court after he lost to Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece in their men's singles quarterfinals match at the Shanghai Masters tennis tournament at Qizhong Forest Sports City Tennis Center in Shanghai, China, Friday, Oct. 11, 2019.
It was a double celebration for Tsitsipas, who additionally confirmed his place within the prestigious season-ending ATP Finals. The serving was the strength for Medvedev as he hit 12 aces which helped him win 82% of his service points.
However Tsitsipas discovered his ft within the second set, then went Three-1 up within the decider when Djokovic planted a forehand large on the third break level.
Looking to watch the Medvedev v Tsitsipas match live streaming online? .
Meanwhile, Roger Federer saved five set points in the first set as he scrambled to a 7-6 (7), 6-4 win over 13th-seeded David Goffin and advanced to the Shanghai Masters quarter-finals.
Djokovic, the defending champion, moves to a 9-2 head to head advantage over the American.
Djokovic sits at the top of the rankings at the moment but trails Rafa Nadal in the yearly standings and, with the Spaniard absent from Shanghai, had hoped to make up significant ground in China.
Fognini, the Monte Carlo champion who made headlines for a spat with Andy Murray earlier in the week, defeated Russian Karen Khachanov 6-3 7-5.
It's very rare that Federer loses his cool with an umpire and he's been a symbol of calm and class during his career.
"Usually the set is finished when it's like this, so just try to win every point I had to face, and finally it worked out".
"He will always find a way and that's why he's the best player of all time, because in hard situations where his mind is not at its best he'll still find a way to make it hard for you".
- Last chance Brexit saloon: British and Irish leaders to meet
- U.S. ambassador to European Union to testify on Thursday, won’t share documents
- Nobel Prize announces 2019 literature winners from Austria, Poland
- Brexit deal is essentially impossible ever, says Downing Street source
- Twitch 'Shocked and Saddened' by Livestream of German Synagogue Shooting
- England to abandon game if subjected to racist abuse
- Johnson & Johnson Hit With $8 Billion Jury Verdict
- Netflix Says No to macOS Catalina, Won't Port its App Over
- Shane Williams explains how "arrogance" helped Wales beat Ireland in 2011
- Nick Jonas is replacing Adam Levine on NBC's 'The Voice'