However, although the day one numbers were three times the size of some previous forecasts, it was unclear how many of these new customers were from free promotions. Of course, it's hard to quantify that number as the entertainment conglomerate is offering a free seven-day trial to its streaming service.
Variety notes that Disney+'s low $6.99 price point, an aggressive pre-order campaign that began at D23 in August already, Verizon's free one-year giveaway to their unlimited wireless customers, and more all added to this insane day one rush.
There's also new offerings like High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, The World According to Jeff Goldblum, Marvel's Hero Project and Encore!, as well as recently released Marvel blockbusters like Captain Marvel and Avengers: Infinity War, as well as Star Wars films including Solo: A Star Wars Story. Disney has revealed that over 10 million people have already signed up for its streaming service.
Fogg believes that perhaps the biggest problem for Disney+ is the perception that there won't be enough original content available at launch to justify getting another streaming subscription.
On the Disney+ launch day, excited fans had stayed up until the small hours to be among the first to watch "The Mandalorian", a new live-action Star Wars television series which is among a handful of exclusives available at launch. Apparently, one of the ideas is also to raise the monthly subscription fee of Hotstar in India, where the service now costs $14 a year, said a media report.
According to the insiders, M-Net continues to be able to buy content from the Hulu streaming service, in which Disney has majority ownership.
In terms of favouritism, the survey was split right down the middle when it comes to the content Disney+ offers.
Disney plans to bring its on-demand video streaming service to India and some Southeast Asian markets as soon as the second half of next year, two sources familiar with the company's plans told TechCrunch. Tech Advisor detailed how Apple users managed to stream Disney+ shows from the UK. Still, the 10 million figure surprised analysts, who had expected Disney to take much longer to reach that level.
That includes this user who wrote, "If you didn't call in to work today to binge Disney+ are you even a millennial #DisneyPlus". "In contrast, the over 40s might consider Disney's older animated fare such as Bambi or Beauty and the Beast to be classics".
- Hong Kong protester shot by police in critical condition
- Turkey starts deporting Islamic State fighters, returns American first
- Colin Kaepernick to work out for National Football League teams
- Galaxy S11 rumored to come in 3 sizes, 5 variants
- Do Or Die Encounter: Liverpool, City Battle For Supremacy
- Mulvaney attempts to join lawsuit over House subpoena, sidestepping scheduled testimony
- Man Filmed Swimming Across Venice's St. Mark's Square Amid Historic Flooding
- Watch Drake Get Booed Off Stage After Making a Surprise Appearance
- ‘The Simpsons’ Poked Fun At Disney+ Hours Before The Streamer Launched
- United States to Keep Control Over Oil Fields in Syria