Ronaldo took his career tally to 99 global goals in Sunday's 2-0 win against Luxembourg with some goal-line poaching of the highest order. Early on, the hosts looked the more likely with Maurice Deville and Gerson Rodrigues glancing over and Vincent Thill brushing aside the visiting backline.
The creative endeavour of Bernardo Silva proved more of a threat than Ronaldo's presence and it was the Manchester City playmaker who teed up Bruno Fernandes to break the deadlock late in the first half of Sunday's Group B clash. "We could have missed out [on Euro 2020]". The nudge left Jota without his first worldwide goal, and Ronaldo one more strike from the century mark. "When we went to Euro 2016, they said it was insane when I said Portugal was a candidate". Needless to say, we think we know where the Luxembourg fans stand in the great Ronaldo vs. Messi debate. "The pitch was very hard to play on and our opponents were very tough and caused us difficulties". We struggled, but then we adapted to the pitch and were able to explore the depth further.
- Those 98 goals have come against 40 different countries.
The victory puts Portugal one win away from qualification for the Euro 2020 finals, with victory in Luxembourg on Sunday punching their ticket to the tournament. "You've got to believe in these players".
"We are candidates at the Euros, we never assume as we are favourites", he told a post-match news conference.
"We are a team who are hard to beat, but other sides are the favourites".
"The players had difficulty getting their foot on the ball".
Ronaldo has scored six goals in 14 games for Juventus this season following Sarri's appointment as manager.
With the strikes, Ronaldo has now scored 30+ goals for 13 years and reached a landmark of 98 goals on worldwide stages.
- Brazil vs Argentina: Lionel Messi Scores On Argentina Return To Sink Brazil
- Texas appeals court blocks inmate Rodney Reed's execution
- Trump appeals to Supreme Court in New York tax return battle
- Disney Plus has more than 10 million subscribers
- Sri Lanka presidential poll: Sajith Premadasa concedes defeat to Gotabaya Rajapaksa
- LSU Football #1 In College Football Playoff Rankings
- SpaceX launches 60 more internet satellites
- Walmart reveals start of Black Friday deals for 2019
- The Chinese troops in Hong Kong and what they can do
- Mason Rudolph Won't Take Legal Action Against Myles Garrett