'Starting today, we're expanding our test of private like counts globally, ' Instagram stated in a tweet. Users will be able to see how many likes their own posts got. If you're included in the trial, you won't see like and view numbers on other people's posts, but you can still see them for your own photos and videos.
This isn't the only move Instagram has made in an effort to make social media a more welcoming environment and prioritize the mental health of its users.
"Restrict" was also a feature recently announced to protect your account from unwanted interactions.
As for the reasons for this radical change, the social network seeks to make the user feel less judged and minimize stress when publishing something and automatically have to compete for the number of likes they receive.
Over the past few months, Instagram has been testing the removal of like and view counts on publications in several countries including Canada, Australia and Japan among others. This update may cause many influencers to lose job opportunities because it may be easier for brands to just advertise with Instagram instead of the influencers.
"The idea is to try to depressurize Instagram, make it less of a competition, and give people more space to focus on connecting with the people they love and things that inspire them".
Continue to, this won't abate the feeling of validation that will come with the likes on your own posts - and it'd be perfectly nigh hard for Instagram to ever remove that. Likes can be given by a user if they press the heart on the bottom left of the post.
Instagram ran a test in certain parts of the world where the number of likes on any post was hidden.
And the second attempts to comfort "creators" (read: Influencers) who have been less-than-thrilled by how this change might impact their ability to communicate results to potential sponsors. One said they would no longer "look like a celebrity".
Instagram claimed the feedback has been positive. That could make Instagram's content more diverse, surprising and alluring over time versus an increasingly stale aesthetic of perfection.
Instagram in the past has said the measures to hide likes would not affect measurement tools used by businesses that use the platform to promote their products. Facebook and Instagram are intertwined.
- Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan to spend Christmas with Meghan's mother
- Impeachment testimony comes from White House budget official
- Microsoft xCloud preview adds 50 games and shoots for a 2020 launch
- Disney+ Hit 10 Million Subscribers 1 Day After Launching
- Sri Lanka presidential poll: Sajith Premadasa concedes defeat to Gotabaya Rajapaksa
- The Chinese troops in Hong Kong and what they can do
- Mason Rudolph Won't Take Legal Action Against Myles Garrett
- Foldable Motorola Razr: When, where and how to buy the $1,500 phone
- Venice hit by highest tide in 50 years
- The Mandalorian season 2: Jon Favreau shares the first shot from set