Second blast hits Texas chemical plant

Saturday, 30 Nov, 2019

The mandatory evacuation covers Port Neches and Groves, and portions of nearby Nederland and Port Arthur, Texas, officials said. He also added that the blast was so strong that it shattered the windows in the apartment of his friend. Jefferson County Judge Jeff Branick declared a state of disaster.

TPC officials know that at least three tanks have been damaged by the blaze, but firefighters have not been able to fully assess damage at the plant as they remain in a defensive position, Monk said. Port Neches Mayor Glenn Johnson says he can't really stop people from going back to their homes, but he's advising residents to "use caution" and shelter in place.

According to Texas Commission on Environmental Quality smoke resulting from the explosion released harmful compounds that had the capability to result in the irritation of eyes, throat and nose, headache, difficulty in breathing and nausea.

She stated: 'Their doors had been blown beginning ... doorknobs themselves had been shot across room'.

Anyone whose property was damaged can call a claims line set up by TPC, 866-601-5880.

Authorities initially ordered residents within a half-mile of the site to evacuate, but they expanded that order after the second blast to a 4-mile radius out of fear of more explosions.

This isn't the only major explosion Southeastern Texas faced. Magnolia Avenue, or Highway 366, between Nall Avenue and Spur 136 has been shut down.

A chemical company says three people were injured in an explosion at its plant in East Texas.

Early on Wednesday morning, people more than 30 miles (48 km) away from the complex were shaken awake by the 1 a.m. CT (0700 GMT) blast, sources familiar with the fire-fighting and rescue operations said.

Crystal Holmes, captain on the Jefferson County sheriff's workplace, stated two workers had been pulled from the plant.

A Third person moreover obtained minor accidents, despite the truth that Branick stated there had been no fatalities, calling it "a miracle". One person was reportedly airlifted to a Houston hospital.

The cause of the explosion is under investigation.

'Fireplace crews continue to battle the blaze.

Hilda Lorena, who uploaded photographs of the burning plant to Twitter, wrote: '[It] felt recognize a mountainous bomb had hit. "We woke up covered in glass doors blown in but we got out safe". "We are doing everything we can to keep everyone safe and informed". It shook everything in Port Neches.