Greta's dad, on helping their daughter: "We did all these things, basically, not really to save the climate, we didn't care much about that initially".
Those words resonated worldwide, energizing climate change activists and sparking a series of prompting scornful reactions from others.
The U.N. climate forum tasked with saving the world from runaway global warming has become an "opportunity for countries to negotiate loopholes and to avoid raising their ambition" to act on climate, the 16-year-old told delegates and observers to vigorous applause.
Thunberg's uncompromising stance has brought her into confrontation with some of the world's most powerful people.
"If we just go on as we are, we are doomed".
She has spent the a year ago sailing across the world - she doesn't fly, for environmental reasons - to urge legislatures and corporations to act to save the planet. "It is wielded by people like Thunberg, leaders with a cause and a phone who don't fit the old rubrics but who connect with us in ways that institutions can't and perhaps never could", TIME said.
She said the experience of the past 15 months, going from solo-protester outside the Swedish parliament to addressing world leaders at the UN General Assembly, had changed her. She has also spoken with the pope, the United Nations secretary general and other influential figures.
In the 16 months that followed, Thunberg has inspired young people around the world to join climate protests and on September 20, 2019, 4 million people joined the global climate strike. She has persuaded leaders, from mayors to Presidents, to make commitments where they had previously fumbled: after she spoke to Parliament and demonstrated with the British environmental group Extinction Rebellion, the United Kingdom passed a law requiring that the country eliminate its carbon footprint.
- Trainer Manny Robles criticises Andy Ruiz Jr's preparation for Anthony Joshua rematch
- Stocks stutter as attention turns to trade deadline, central bank meetings
- Boras: 2 new 'mystery teams' in pursuit of Cole
- Hong Kong's Leader Again Rejects Concessions After Massive Weekend Protest
- Jewish grocery was targeted in New Jersey attack, motives unclear
- Klopp calls out translator ahead of RB Salzburg - Liverpool game
- Juice Wrld’s Cause of Death Still Pending After Initial Autopsy
- Pompeo and Russia's Lavrov joust over meddling in United States elections
- Tourists Missing, Injured After Volcanic Eruption In New Zealand
- Democrats announce support for revised North America trade pact