Flu cases and flu-related hospitalizations have risen sharply since October, with at least 6.4 million reported cases and 55,000 hospitalizations, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
And flu cases often tend to spike after the holidays.
Officials said flu-like activity was deemed as high this week with 280 lab-confirmed cases of the flu.
Public Health officials in MA and CT say flu activity is ramping up.
During this time period, which is the most recent data available, PHAC said influenza B has increased, resulting in an equal proportion of influenza A and B flu detected nationally. "There is still time to protect yourself and your loved ones this flu season". "With proper hand washing, good coughing etiquette, not touching your face, we can really put a dent in the numbers", Feller says. Those who get the shot but still get the flu are likely to have a less severe case of it.
If you do get the flu, there are medications your doctor can prescribe which can lessen the severity and duration of the flu.
"That will take two weeks to provide you the full immunity, but it's going to be one of your best defenses against the flu and it has statistically and significantly decreased your risk for influenza-like illnesses as well".
"The flu shot is made with inactivated or killed viruses and can not give you influenza", they said in the release.
This year, there have been 32 influenza-associated pediatric deaths reported in the country.
Because of that, Young offered extra caution for parents or guardians of sick children.
They are urging residents to get vaccinated for protection this season. But by the end of that season, flu killed 187 children, the most since federal health authorities began tracking pediatric deaths 16 years ago. At the very least, Lopez said, it has been clinically proven that the flu vaccine cuts the risk of flu-related death by half among children with underlying medical conditions and by almost two-thirds among healthy children.
- Estimate: 1 billion animals may have perished in Australian bushfires
- Justin Bieber is battling Lyme disease
- Iranians take credit for rocket attack on Iraqi base of USA troops
- Djokovic and Nadal lead their countries to convincing wins at ATP Cup
- Trump, US lawmakers battle over war powers amid Iran tensions
- Why are Harry and Meghan taking a break? This poll explains
- Venezuela: Juan Guaido brands rival speaker accomplice of the dictatorship
- British woman given four month suspended sentence over 'false' rape claim
- Jack Knox: Locals helped Prince Harry, Meghan and Archie enjoy holiday peace
- Arsenal advances to FA Cup fourth round with victory over Leeds United