"It gives us one more opportunity to make sure that people are informed and particularly, in the case of an extreme emergency, which is what this will be used for, it is very important that we reach people as quickly as possible", he said.
Delta did not immediately return a request for comment. "It doesn't help if the reason for returning t0 land is, for example, due to an engine failure, which means that on top of the weight issue we're also running on reduced power". The controller asks about fuel again.
The pilot could have stayed over the ocean to dump his fuel but that could have taken a half-hour up to an hour, Moss said.
"Ah, negative", the pilot responds.
At Park Avenue Elementary School in Cudahy, some 16 miles (26km) east of the airport, two classes of children were outside when the fuel was released.
The LACoFD also confirmed to PEOPLE that hazmat units were en route to the school to investigate. Authorities confirm that it was jet fuel that was dumped over the area by a plane.
During emergency situations, air crews will typically notify air traffic control and indicate they need to dump fuel. "There are special fuel-dumping procedures for aircraft operating into and out of any major U.S. airport", an FAA spokesperson wrote.
"Pilots know that when you have a problem that threatens the aircraft and you have to get rid of fuel, you get rid of it fast", he said.
The plane mid-way dumped its fuel onto a wide area that included Park Avenue Elementary School.
"The aircraft landed safely after an emergency fuel release to reduce landing weight", the airline said, without providing further details. He or she may choose to fly around in order to burn fuel.
When the compressor of a plane's engine stalls, it can cause a loss of airflow through an engine, which can cause the engine to fail.
"On a balance of risk, it might be better to dump fuel before landing when it's for a non-critical emergency; for example if there is a passenger with a non-life threatening medical condition".
"Dumping is literally a toggle-switch".
"Sadly, our entire community has been adversely impacted by this incident, including dozens of children".
The Federal Aviation Administration said it is investigating.
- Niger army base attack on kills 25 soldiers
- End is nigh for Windows 7
- Iran signals Canada will play active role in downed flight probe
- Player quits Australian Open after coughing fit in smoke-clogged air
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Trump accuses Apple of refusing to 'unlock phones used by killers'
- Trump claims 4 United States embassies were targeted by Iran
- Check Out A Brand-New Special Look at Marvel Studios' ‘Black Widow’
- Verizon picks up the rough and tumble Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro