At the direction of the Oklahoma State Health Department, the Oklahoma City Thunder players and staff will be administered coronavirus tests after potentially being exposed to the virus Wednesday against the Utah Jazz, a team spokesperson tells ESPN.
Gobert had been ruled questionable for the Jazz's game Wednesday against the Oklahoma City Thunder due to illness. The Cleveland Cavaliers are starting a six-game road trip and don't return home until March 24, which gives them time to evaluate the recommendation and decide how to proceed. "The affected player was not in the arena", the statement said. The Associated Press, citing a source, identified the player as Rudy Gobert.
The news of Gobert's diagnosis comes after a weird interaction with media earlier this week where he jokingly made a point to touch reporters' microphones and recorders at the end of a media session. A second person who spoke to AP on condition of anonymity said the league expects the shutdown to last a minimum of two weeks, but cautioned that timeframe is very fluid.
As of Wednesday morning, over 1,000 cases have been reported in the US, with 28 deaths and eight people recovered, according to Johns Hopkins University which has been tracking the outbreak using combined data sources.
As such, confirmed cases remain relatively low (although increasing significantly by the day) even as health officials estimate the number of actual cases and actual people that have come into contact with COVID-19 to be much higher than current totals.
On Tuesday, Valencia's home tie against Atalanta in the Champions League was played behind closed doors and the same will apply to Paris Saint-Germain's game against Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday.
Wojnarowski clarified that the league is leaning toward playing games without fans. Grothman was referencing how the Ivy League recently canceled its basketball tournaments, instead of having them without fans or keeping the status quo.
"We would recommend that there not be large crowds", Fauci said. We think that that's the best course of action in an environment of being really prudent and responsible in how we do that.
- Brent and WTI oil prices down by 5%
- Google asks all North American employees to work from home
- Daniele Rugani Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- NBA Suspends 2019-20 Season After Jazz Player Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- All the Details on Hannah Ann Sluss' Engagement Ring From Peter Weber
- E3 Games Industry Expo Cancelled Over Coronavirus Concerns
- Schools across CT close as state allows for shorter school year
- World Health Organization declares coronavirus a pandemic
- Brazil's Secretary of Communications Tested Positive for Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: 76-year-old dies, India confirmed cases rise to 79