Funded by the U.S. National Institutes of Health and conducted at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle, a team of scientists plans to administer varying doses of a vaccine developed by the NIH and Moderna Inc.to 45 young, healthy volunteers, the Associated Press reported.
A US-based company, Inovio Pharmaceuticals aim to begin safety tests for its vaccine candidate in April which will include a few dozen volunteers at the University of Pennsylvania as well as a testing centre in Kansas City, Missouri.
The expectation is that the vaccine will take roughly 18 months to fully validate in a lab setting.
In a March 16 statement, he said that finding a safe and effective vaccine to block the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which started in China in 2019, "is an urgent health priority".
The vaccine is called mRNA-1273 and was developed by US National Institutes of Health (NIH) scientists and collaborators at biotechnology company Moderna, which is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
In the world of biological science, it has become a race as to who will be the first to create the coronavirus vaccine as the amount of Covid-19 cases continues to increase worldwide!
Pharmacist Michael Witte opens a package of the potential vaccine for the COVID-19 coronavirus. More than 50 people have died in the United States and around 3,000 confirmed cases across the 49 states and the District of Columbia. Amalie, 10, and Rebekka, 8, sent a joint question asking: "Dear prime minister, what do you do to strengthen your immune system?"
President Donald Trump has been pushing for swift action on a vaccine, saying in recent days that the work is "moving along very quickly".
Since its outbreak in China in December, the virus has killed about 5,000 persons, with at least 138,000 infected across more than 100 countries. The latter is also being tested in the U.S.by the University of Nebraska Medical Center.
The new coronavirus can cause a mild to severe respiratory illness and symptoms of fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
CureVac said last week they are working on with a multitude of coronavirus vaccine candidates and are selecting the two best to go into clinical trials.
- How Did Other Infectious Diseases, Like The COVID-19, End?
- Pelosi Announces House Will Vote on Coronavirus Relief Bill
- PM Abe gets emergency powers from Japan parliament to tackle coronavirus outbreak
- Australia Minister Who Met Ivanka Trump Diagnosed With Virus
- Sen. Chuck Schumer pushes Senate to pass coronavirus relief bill
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau's wife has corona virus!
- Rudy Gobert issues apology: ‘I was careless and make no excuse’
- UEFA Champions League Star Swallows Own Tongue After Being Knocked Out
- NE Ontario's first COVID-19 patient was at PDAC convention
- Josie Harris, The Mother Of Floyd Mayweather's Children, Passes Away