Ontario reports 634 new COVID-19 cases, 54 more deaths

Monday, 27 Apr, 2020

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has asked Ottawa to send military personnel to help stop the spread of the coronavirus in the province's long-term care homes.

The long-term care home, located in the area of Eglinton Avenue West and Scarlett Road, has reported 12 deaths related to COVID-19 at its facility.

"Comments from provincial officials suggest this is not a priority concern for them", Cressy said.

"We knew this long-term care sector had been neglected for many years and we were taking action to change that when the pandemic hit", she said.

There are now 23,267 known cases of the coronavirus in Quebec, with 1,446 deaths and 5,057 recoveries.

Earlier on Wednesday during an interview with Bill Caroll on Newstalk 580 CFRA in Ottawa, Ford had said he hoped some measures could be loosened by Victoria Day (May 18) - the unofficial start of summer in Canada.

While the Bobcaygeon nursing home is reportedly showing signs of improvement, its outbreak - which was declared in late March - led to the deaths of 29 residents, according to Global News.

There have been 441 deaths attributed to COVID-19 in people aged 80 and over, and 295 deaths of residents in long-term care. As of Thursday there were 132 outbreaks at Ontario long-term care homes, with 2,189 cases among residents and 1,058 cases among staff.

"It's like a natural impulse to take them in our arms", Arruda said about hugging grandparents. That brings the province's total caseload to 12,879.

There are 510 new confirmed cases of coronavirus in Ontario along with 37 deaths.

The pandemic emergency orders, which had been set to expire Thursday, will also now grant mental health and addictions agencies the ability to redeploy staff during the pandemic.

Minister of Long-Term Care Dr. Merrilee Fullerton defended the government's approach on Thursday, saying they were handed down a broken long-term care system and have been trying to fix it.

An emergency order previously issued by the province also limits staff at long-term care homes to working in just one setting to help curb the spread of the virus.

The Quebec Council for the Protection of Patients' complaint describes alleged discrimination and exploitation of those who live or have lived in long-term care or seniors homes since the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis and seeks financial compensation from the Quebec tribunal.