Premier Ford to unveil framework for reopening province amid COVID-19

Вторник, 28 Апр, 2020

The province says that 640 new COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in Ontario and that over 700 residents have died of the virus.

Four cases are pending more information. "For a full-time (worker) that means about an extra $3,560", Ford said. The raises apply to those who work in emergency shelters, supportive housing, youth justice facilities, home and community care providers and some staff in hospitals.

Stage three would include having all workplaces open and further relaxing rules on public gatherings - though large ones such as sports events and concerts would still be restricted. "It just burns me up". "We will focus on giving the benefits to Canadians that will replace much of their paycheque so that they can pay their essentials", he said. He said the demonstration could set back health-care workers at hospitals just down the street from their protest site.

"Businesses across Ontario are paying a heavy, heavy price to put their people and their communities first", Ford said.

Ford disagrees. He called the 300 or so protestors "irresponsible, reckless, and selfish, according to CP24".

"Certain areas that you don't have to worry about working side by side working on a line where you can't practice social distancing".

Ontario is reporting 424 new COVID-19 cases and 57 new deaths. Eighteen deaths have been reported in Brampton and one death has been reported in Caledon.

Models recently released by the province also suggested that Ontario has reached its peak in the pandemic. Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce announced Sunday that publicly-funded schools will remain closed until May 31, adding the closure could be extended if recommended by public health officials.

In a statement, Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said, "It's wrong that it took so long for this small wage top up to arrive".

The announcement was made today by Premier Doug Ford, Peter Bethlenfalvy, President of the Treasury Board, Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, and Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Long-Term Care.

More than 350,000 frontline workers are expected to be eligible for pandemic pay, which will be effective for 16 weeks from April 24th to August 13th. The temporary wage increase does not apply to management.

"What's really becoming clear is that we're going to need a plan to restore the economy and to move towards a new normal", said NDP MP Charlie Angus, who is leading the task force.

Last week, Premier Doug Ford said he would push the federal government on provide residential rent relief.