Noel Le Graet, the president of the French Football Federation, said that he thinks the Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons are "over".
When football resumes in September they will head straight into the 2020/21 season with no clubs being made to catch up on fixtures.
As of Tuesday evening, it remained to be seen how the government ruling would affect Ligue 1 in terms of final placings for the 2019-20 season. But last week, two of those broadcast partners, BeIN Sports and Canal+, threw those teams a lifeline by agreeing to pay the league a portion of the $140 million in TV rights they had withheld when the season was suspended. Germany's Bundesliga wants to restart within weeks and England is trying to complete the Premier League by getting underway again in June.
"There can be no major sporting events, especially football, before September, even behind closed doors". "If important economic sectors cannot restart, in a safe and controlled manner, they could end up disappearing".
"Soccer emerges as the victor", Olivier Sadran told sports daily L'Équipe's website.
Other countries, such a Germany, are reportedly preparing for a return but their resources far outstrip what is available to Scottish teams, with the added caveat that the ongoing public health crisis is apparently less severe there than here (The Guardian). It would be very badly thought of to break away from that.
"This decision concerns all professional sports, starting with football, but also rugby, basketball and more".
Despite other European countries moving towards reopening schools and shops, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said it was too early for the United Kingdom to follow suit.
The Tour de France is set to go ahead, though, albeit with restrictions on the number of spectators.
- White House aiming for Trump pivot from virus to economy
- U.K.'s Boris Johnson rules out swift end to coronavirus lockdown
- After '21 days of hell' New York governor expands coronavirus testing
- Ontario reports 634 new COVID-19 cases, 54 more deaths
- Apple, Google Boost Privacy Protections for Contact-Tracing Tool
- South Korea says North Korea's Kim may be trying to avoid coronavirus
- CDC lists 6 new symptoms associated with COVID-19
- UK Prime Minister Johnson to return to work Monday
- 2019/2020 season French Ligue 1 abandoned amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Trump says remarks about injecting disinfectant to beat COVID-19 'sarcastic'