In addition to protestors outside the legislature, Michigan Sen.
Matt Schmucker, photographer for Michigan State's State News, captured protesters who'd gathered to call for "freedom" from Whitmer's stay-at-home order moving inside the capitol building.
"Directly above me, men with rifles yelling at us", Michigan State Senator Dayna Polehanki wrote on Twitter, sharing a photo of the demonstrators. "I have never appreciated our Sergeants-at-Arms more than today".
According to the state, 8,342 have recovered from the virus.
'No one should be surprised that the governor would open a lower-risk field like she has said at previous press conferences, ' the spokesperson said.
Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced on Wednesday an initiative to help MI workers and their families during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The state is also reporting 103 new deaths.
State officials say there are 40,399 cases of COVID-19 in the state of MI with 3,670 deaths.
Whitmer has come under attack from protesters who argue that her COVID-19 precautions are too strict and are costing them their livelihoods.
Court of Claims Judge Christopher M. Murray ruled said Steve Martinko and other plaintiffs' claims that the order infringed on their constitutional rights were not strong due to the severity of the pandemic. "It would be devastating for the health of our people and our economy", Whitmer said. "People want to spend time with their families, friends, and loved ones".
As the protests moved indoors from the rainy steps of the Capitol, police took the temperatures of those entering the building using a forehead thermometer, according to WOOD-TV, an NBC affiliate in Grand Rapids. Rally members drove their cars around the perimeter honking their horns.
Michigan, which Trump narrowly won in 2016, is considered a crucial swing state in the November presidential election and the state's COVID-19 infections rank among the highest in the country.
- Hillary Clinton set to endorse Joe Biden's presidential bid
- Sanders bashes NY over presidential primary cancellation
- Biden and Tara Reade
- Pentagon releases video purported to show UFOs hurtling through the air
- Trump Vows to Seek 'Very Substantial' Damages From China
- Bollywood Mourns Irrfan Khan, Versatile Actor Who Touched Millions
- Trump to order meat-processing plants to continue operating amid pandemic
- Bollywood actor Irrfan Khan dies at 53
- Veteran actor Rishi Kapoor hospitalised in Mumbai
- Cuomo is in no hurry to reopen NYC