He added: "This is a very disgusting thing we're fighting". "We shouldn't lose one person over this".
"Some people" say the virus could come back, he said, but still, "it will pass". It should have been stopped. Opening up about his loss during the pandemic, the US President admitted to have lost three friends. Trump, who has publicly vacillated between focusing on the cost in lives and cost in dollars, also said "we have to reopen our country", and do it "safely but as quickly as possible".
"I think we will have a vaccine by the end of the year".
His previous estimate of 60,000 U.S. deaths has already been surpassed.
He had said in April he hoped deaths would total less than 60,000; the number of dead so far is more than 67,000. You've had the people and they've gotten sick.
It has brief clips that hint at Trump's contentious White House press briefings amid the virus.
The White House in the past week has shifted its messaging away from the public health aspect of the coronavirus pandemic, which has killed more than 67,000 people in the USA, and instead focused on efforts to revitalize the economy. With strict social distancing guidelines continuing to be enforced, there has been a growing sense of anxiety as to when a sense of "normalcy" will resume. Initially, he repeatedly compared it to the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic, which killed an estimated 12,469 Americans; but then, when the coronvirus's death toll jumped higher, he took to juxtaposing it with the 1918 influenza pandemic that left around 675,000 Americans dead.
Congressional Republicans have said their next top legislative priority related to the coronavirus will be steps to protect businesses from being sued when the economy begins to reopen.
The president responded to the concerns of a restaurant owner. "We're building supply lines. we have many companies who are, I think close", Trump said.
He then repeated his promise to move USA pharmaceutical manufacturing back to America. You see it every day. "By the end of the year, I think we're going to have a vaccine".
- US FDA allows use of remdesivir drug for severely ill COVID19 patients
- 'Enormous evidence' virus came from China lab, says Pompeo
- Canada bans military-style assault rifles 12 days after mass shooting
- Meet Wilfred Johnson, newborn son of British PM Boris Johnson and fiancee
- Japan asks US for stable remdesivir supply as Tokyo rushes approval
- Tesla stocks take a sharp dive after controversial tweets from Elon Musk
- Kim Jong-un reappears in North Korea after weeks of speculation
- Biden denial of assault allegations may help him, or not
- Canadian chopper goes down in Greece, frantic search for survivors
- Kim Jong Un 'did not undergo surgery' - South Korea