"It's very efficient, very tropical rainfall", National Hurricane Center Director Ken Graham said in a Facebook video.
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect from Intracoastal City, Louisiana to the Okaloosa/Walton County, Florida line; Lake Pontchartrain; and Lake Maurepas. Cristobal is expected to maintain tropical storm strength through landfall later on Sunday.
Cristobal's forecast path takes it inland through north-eastern Louisiana and south-western MS on Monday, continuing through Arkansas and eastern Missouri on Monday night and Tuesday, and reaching Wisconsin and the western Great Lakes by Wednesday.
National Weather Service meteorologists predict heavy rain through Tuesday morning, with chances of flash flooding through the central and eastern parts of the state.
Philip Klotzbach, a meteorologist at Colorado State University, says that this is the earliest date for an Atlantic third-named storm to form since record-keeping began in 1851.
Officials consider the Atlantic hurricane season to run from June 1 to November 30.
Forecasters warned the storm would affect a wide area stretching roughly 290 kilometres east into Florida.
Tropical Storm Cristobal's maximum sustained winds are 50 miles per hour (85 km/h), with higher gusts.
"Certainly it is fairly unusual for the remnants of a tropical storm to be affecting Lake Superior", Kimball said.
Background: Per the NHC, Cristobal formed last Wednesday off the southeast coast of Mexico.
Cristobal, now downgraded to a tropical depression, is currently centered in Louisiana. So far in 2020, Arthur and Bertha have already formed.
A very strong storm system sweeping out from the Rocky Mountains is expected to meld with Cristobal in the next couple of days, said Greg Carbin, who oversees forecasts at the Weather Prediction Center in College Park, Maryland.
Accuweather reports that the storm was located 535 miles from the mouth of the Mississippi River as of 4pm CDT on Friday.
- Goodell says National Football League was wrong for not listening to players about racism
- Hydroxychloroquine 'useless' on COVID-19 patients, researcher says
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Major Hydroxychloroquine Study Retracted: ‘We Deeply Apologize’
- A review of content policies will be done: Zuckerberg says after backlash
- OPEC and allies to agree one-month extension to output cuts
- DC mayor has 'Black Lives Matter' painted on street near White House
- New Zealand to lift all domestic COVID-19 restrictions from midnight
- Behind the USA unemployment figures: five key points from May's jobs report