Barca were beaten 2-1 at home by Osasuna on Thursday as the defence of their title in LaLiga officially came to an end, albeit Real Madrid's victory over Villarreal by the same scoreline rendered their result meaningless.
"It's an important achievement to win it seven times but I would have liked it to have been accompanied by the La Liga title", Messi said, as quoted by Reuters.
At the same time Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane was being joyously thrown into the air by his team, Barcelona's dejected players trudged off the pitch at the Camp Nou.
The six-time Ballon d'Or victor added that if they continue playing like they did, their Champions League chances will be slim as they will certainly lose to Napoli. We didn't expect or want to finish like this, but it nearly sums up the whole year.
On Sunday, after an impressive 5-0 win over Alaves in their final league game of the season, Messi was more considered with his comments. It's not normal that another team beats us for intensity and desire.
The tie with Napoli is finely balanced at 1-1 going into the Nou Camp leg next month, but Barca coach Quique Setien admitted that he "does not know" if he will still be in charge then.
I do not give it too much importance.
"I am responsible for our situation, as am the team manager", he told reporters.
"Today was very different", said Messi.
"That's why he said it, he's been at Barcelona for many years and he's aware of what he needs to be able to win and aspire to great things".
"I agree with Messi on some things, with self-criticism".
"He always wants to be on top and you need people to build that. We need to breathe, take a breather and clear our minds of everything that's been happening since December".
- $3,000 Price Cut on Tesla Model Y
- New coronavirus-themed Banksy Seems on London Underground
- SpaceX launched more Starlink satellites on Falcon 9, including three Planet SkySats
- Instagram's TikTok-Style 'Reels' Feature to Launch in US Next Month
- Depp's bodyguard admits giving wrong photo to court
- Texans' Kenny Stills charged with felony during peaceful Breonna Taylor protest
- Hey, Katrina Kaif, heres a postcard-worthy birthday greeting from Salman Khan
- Israel Imposes New Restrictions to Fight Virus Spread
- In major setback to India, Iran pulls out of Chabahar rail project
- Princess Beatrice marries in private ceremony at Windsor