Lewis, a Democrat who served as the us representative for Georgia's 5th Congressional District for more than three decades, announced on December 29 that he was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Two years later his skull was fractured when he was brutally beaten crossing the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma.
The statement reads in part, "Concerned Nigerians, CN, a pro-democracy and human rights group has expressed shock over the death of United States' foremost civil Rights activist and congressman, John Lewis".
Lewis was a protege of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., whom he met after writing to him when Lewis was just 18.
SDLP MLA Justin McNulty said: "John Lewis's impact extended far beyond America's shores".
State and local lawmakers who represent Michiganders are reacting to the death of John Lewis. "John Lewis really became a giant through his examples that he set for all of us". "President Uhuru wished God's comfort to the family of the Congressman, members of his Democratic Party and his supporters during this hard period of grief", State House said in a statement.
Premier Burt said: "John Lewis is rightly remembered as a constant voice for change and justice".
Former US presidents and foreign leaders have joined the tributes to civil rights icon John Lewis, who has died aged 80.
Among those favoring such a route were Mr. Lewis' former top aide Michael Collins, who felt an arrangement that smacked of insider politics was anathema to the spirit of Mr. Lewis, whose passing marked the last of all the African-Americans who addressed the crowd at the famous March on Washington in 1963. As a USA congressman, he was known for his humility but also his bold leadership on issues to do with equity and social justice. "Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble", McDonald wrote, quoting Lewis. As a fellow civil rights warrior, as a Black man, and as an American, I feel enormously grateful for that.
Congressman Lewis, through his life's work, has helped bend the arc of the moral universe (which Dr. King alluded to as long) towards justice. He will forever inspire us to continue the fight for racial justice and to build a better future for the next generation.
- New jump in India and warning cases could double
- Israel Imposes New Restrictions to Fight Virus Spread
- Kanye West drops out of presidential race after 10 days
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Texans' Kenny Stills charged with felony during peaceful Breonna Taylor protest
- Depp's bodyguard admits giving wrong photo to court
- Person in custody in killing of tech CEO found dismembered
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- August Alsina Details Jada Pinkett Smith Affair On New Song 'Entanglements'
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager