At least 60 shell casings were located.
Kenneth Hughes, another witness at the scene, told Chicago's NBC-5 station that "we saw a vehicle with about six bullet holes in it and it was turned facing the grass like he lost control".
Arnita Gerder and Kenneth Hughes told the Chicago Sun-Times they were home watching television when they heard gunshots. "It's ridiculous over here, all the shooting that's going on around here".
Superintendent Carter provided no other details on conditions, the victims, or any suspects or motive.
Describing the scope of Chicago's gang violence problem, Brown said, "There are over 117,000 gang members in the city of Chicago". "This senseless violence, this cycle of retaliation, picking up a gun, many times in petty grievances, picking up a gun that solves nothing but causes so much lifelong pain". "This same cycle repeats itself, over and over and over again ... None. Put your guns down".
Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot (D) said the shooting would have been shocking no matter the circumstances.
Other victims include a man who was shot in the chest, arm and forearm, and two men, 32 and 22, who were shot in a hand, police said.
President Donald Trump said Monday he plans to send federal law enforcement to certain cities, including Chicago, "all run by very liberal Democrats", to try to crack down on the violence. Activists and local officials in Chicago have resisted the move, especially after federal agents deployed in recent weeks to Portland, Ore.to quell ongoing Black Lives Matter protests have been seen violently suppressing demonstrators, journalists and others on the ground by using tear gas and rubber bullets. "But we do not welcome dictatorship, we do not welcome authoritarianism and we do not welcome unconstitutional arrest and detainment of our residents".
As The Post reported, some of the city's leaders remain skeptical of assurances from the Trump administration about the federal agents' role in Chicago.
What's happening: Chicago Police First Deputy Supt.
As of July 19, the latest date for which Chicago crime data is available, murders are up 51% in 2020 compared to the same point in 2019, increasing from 275 to 414.
The shooting occurred in the Gresham neighborhood on Chicago's South Side. Investigators haven't determined how many people were involved in the shooting.
"We can't keep meting out violence with violence", Brown said.
- Kanye West: Bullet proof vest and tears at first presidential campaign rally
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Two coronavirus vaccines 'produce immune response'
- For First Time, India Logs 40000 Plus Corona Cases In Single Day
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Expert commentary: Oxford vaccine candidate
- Kanye's Presidential 'Campaign' Is Just an Album Publicity Stunt — Surprise
- An Open Letter to Priyanka Chopra on Why Black Lives Matter
- Photos of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi's wedding released
- Trump says regular coronavirus briefings will resume as cases surge