Currently, no new release date has been set for the blockbuster.
The pandemic is also forcing Hollywood executives to rethink their strategies, with blockbuster films possibly being released first outside of the USA and mid-budget movies going online, the Financial Times reported.
They were initially meant to come out in four alternate Decembers - 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027 - but each has been postponed by one year. "What most of you likely don't know is that the pandemic is still preventing us from being allowed to recommence most of our virtual production work on stage in Los Angeles". Cameron previously expressed his confidence that COVID-19 wouldn't derail Avatar 2's 2021 release date.
Cameron added, "There is no one more disappointed about this delay than me. That work is just as critical to the films as the live-action work".
Other film studios including Warner Bros have also pushed back film releases as lockdown measures earlier in the year forced the closure of cinemas across the world. Caving to reality, the live-action remake of the animated classic has now been delayed indefinitely. The theatrical release has now been listed as "unset", meaning we have no clue when it could head to the cinemas.
Liu Yifei in the delayed film Mulan.
"The French Dispatch" (Searchlight), previously dated October 16, 2020, is now unset.
Disney also announced that the release schedule for future installments of the "Star Wars" and "Avatar" sagas has been pushed back by a year. The first of those films will now arrive in late 2023.
With a production budget of $200 million, it is the most expensive film ever made by a female director.
But now Disney has removed the film from the calendar altogether citing uncertainties around when movie theaters might be able to re-open.
- An Open Letter to Priyanka Chopra on Why Black Lives Matter
- Trump cancels Republican convention in Florida after coronavirus spike
- OnePlus Nord gets first software update with a bunch of camera improvements
- Pfizer, BioNTech To Supply US Government 600M Doses Of Coronavirus Vaccine
- OR lawmakers sue federal law enforcement over response to protests
- Samsung announces 5G Galaxy Z Flip foldable smartphone, starting at $1,449
- Redmi Note 9 Launched in India, Price, Specifications and Availability
- Man takes commuters hostage on bus in Ukraine, reports of gunfire
- Judge blocks United States agents from arresting observers in Portland
- Pompeo and Johnson discussed China's actions in Hong Kong and Xinjiang