It was heading west at 14 miles per hour. A tropical storm warning was in effect from the mouth of the Rio Grande to San Luis Pass, Texas, and a tropical storm watch was in effect from San Luis Pass to High Island, Texas. Bravender said any part of the state could be affected.
City officials in Corpus Christi, on the Gulf Coast, said they were clearing storm drains in preparation for rain and potential flooding and that beaches in the area would be closed from Friday afternoon until Monday morning. An AccuWeather Local StormMax™ of 12 inches is anticipated.
The new threat comes as coronavirus cases have been rising in several counties in the storm's path. Gusty winds and the risk of landslides/landslips is very high. Tropical storm-force winds are expected in the region by early Saturday, forecasts show.
It appears that this system, perhaps a future "Isaias (ees-ah-EE-ahs)" could be a substantial Caribbean and perhaps a United States and/or Gulf of Mexico threat in the in the next week or two.
Risky tropical storm conditions are also expected.
"How much impact from wind will depend on the strength of the system as it moves ashore in Texas", Sosnowski said.
The main concern for Reichmuth is the flooding from that rainfall.
While hurricanes normally start to pick up around the second week of August through October, Hurricane Hanna - the first hurricane of the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season - is already this year's eighth named storm. Prior to Hanna, the earliest eighth-named storm was Tropical Storm Harvey from 2005, which formed on August 3. Isolated areas could get up to 5 inches.
Tropical Storm Gonzalo was also the earliest Atlantic named storm for its place in the alphabet.
Meanwhile in the Gulf of Mexico, a tropical wave is producing a large area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms. The centre of Gonzalo will approach the southern Windward Islands Friday night and move across the islands Saturday and into the eastern Caribbean Sea Sunday.
Cooler waters east of Hawaii and wind shear were expected to weaken the storm before it reaches the islands.
- Cuomo Bans Fans from Stands of NY College Sports This Fall
- Pfizer, BioNTech To Supply US Government 600M Doses Of Coronavirus Vaccine
- England drop Crawley for deciding Test
- Ocasio-Cortez slams Republican lawmaker over his sexist slur
- Liam Payne reveals exact moment One Direction formed
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Trump cancels Republican convention in Florida after coronavirus spike
- China slams United States order to shut consulate in Houston
- Expected Cost of Oxford COVID-19 Vaccine in India
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury