Terror probe opened after 2 wounded in Paris knife attack

Saturday, 26 Sep, 2020

Rue Nicolas-Appert, the street in Paris's 11th arrondissement on which the satirical magazine was formerly based, has been cordoned off, France's Le Monde reports.

A source close to the investigation confirmed to AFP that a large meat cleaver found near the scene was used by the attacker. The main perpetrators of these shootings had been killed in police raids.

Schools and several metro stations in the area of the attack have been closed. According to France's Radio Europe 1, the detained person was an 18-year-old man of Pakistani origin.

Another employee, who asked not to be named, said he heard screams. "I just saw one", witness Kader Alfa told the Associated Press.

"I feel like I'm reliving past horrors", said a resident of a neighbouring street.

The interior minister said the young man arrived in France three years ago as an unaccompanied minor, apparently from Pakistan, but his identity was still being verified.

Police initially said four people had been stabbed but this was later revised down to two.

An investigation was opened into "attempted murder in relation with a terrorist enterprise", according to an official at the prosecutor's office. It is not yet clear what motivated the attack.

In 2015, two brothers opened fire in the Charlie Hebdo office, killing 12 people.

The widows of the two Charlie Hebdo shooters are scheduled to testify at the trial Friday afternoon.

Descriptions of the suspects have not been issued and the motivation for the attack has yet to be determined, but the Charlie Hebdo offices were the site of a radical Islamic terrorist massacre in 2015, perpetrated as punishment for the satirical magazine's publication of satirical cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed.

Charlie Hebdo marked the trial's start by reprinting the cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad which incensed the Muslim world when majority were first published by a Danish newspaper in 2005 and then by Charlie Hebdo a year later.

The suspects' identities have not been released, and it is unclear exactly what prompted the attack.

The trial in the Charlie Hebdo attacks is now under way in the city.

Staff, who now work at a secret location, received death threats after it hit the stands.

The trial in the Charlie Hebdo attacks began across town on September 2.

When it resumed on Friday, an intelligence officer told the court that it was a "huge regret" that his services had been unable to prevent the 2015 attacks.