Meanwhile Daniil Medvedev, the fourth seed, is looking to win a match at Roland Garros for the first time when he battles Marton Fucsovics, following three first-round exits.
The match, which began on Sunday, was the second-longest encounter in the tournament's history, falling 28 minutes short of the 2004 first round epic when Fabrice Santoro beat French compatriot Arnaud Clement in six hours 33 minutes.
In November 2019, it was announced that the French Tennis Federation had signed a five-year partnership with Wilson, making the company the official ball of the French Open.
She is playing at Roland Garros for the 18th time, having made her debut in Paris in 1998.
Earlier, Duckworth lost 6-2, 6-3, 6-2 to American Tommy Paul and Vukic's unlikely run through qualifying and into the main draw ended in a 7-5, 6-4, 6-0 loss to fellow qualifier Pedro Martinez.
Yet nothing was quite as dramatic as Lorenzo Giustino's epic triumph over Frenchman Corentin Moutet.
"I think it's normal, because Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, they are like global superstars, and we are not yet", said Thiem after reaching the second round of Roland Garros with a 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 win over Croatia's Marin Cilic, who was celebrating his 32nd birthday on Monday.
"The biggest difference was just confidence".
With the heavy balls moving sluggishly through the air, a lot of players have reduced the tension in their strings by at least 15 per cent to give themselves more power, which generally comes at the expense of feel and control.
- Serena Williams, playing for major title No.24, discussing the improvement in her level between the first and second sets. Of course we play in the same place.
Verdasco, the World No.59, pulled out of the final Grand Slam of the year in Paris on Thursday, along with five other players including Canada's Milos Raonic and Switzerland's Belinda Bencic, after giving a positive test. "That's what I did since I arrived here".
"I think we are very glad and very pleased, honestly, that we are here and we can play here, even with few spectators", Kvitova said on Monday after her opening win over Frenchwoman Oceane Dodin under the closed roof of Court Philippe Chatrier.
"I'm really happy to be back at Chatrier".
Fabio Fognini was knocked out by Mikhail Kukushkin in the first round, with the Kazakh winning 7-5 3-6 7-6 (1) 6-0 on Court Simonne Mathieu. Sok won the match in one hour and 55 minutes.
"I don't know if I'm going to play again this year or not because I don't have any enthusiasm to play any more".
Neither the balls nor any Nadal rust could prevent him from claiming a 6-4 6-4 6-2 victory, though, Gerasimov's admirable resistance fading after he turned his ankle in the third set.
- US President Donald Trump paid no income tax for 10 years
- Heat aim to close out Celtics in Game 5
- Pac-12 Returns: What You Need To Know
- Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court nomination personal for Christian women
- To fight Apple and Google, smaller app rivals organize coalition
- Ring unveils new security products
- Princess Eugenie, husband expecting first child
- Trump's designates the KKK and Antifa as 'terrorist organizations'
- Study Finds COVID-19 Is Mutating To Become More Contagious
- China pushes emergency use of COVID-19 vaccine despite concerns