The percentage of COVID-19 tests taken in NY state that have come back positive has edged up in a worrisome trend for the former epicentre of the USA epidemic.
Mitchell Katz, CEO of NYC Health + Hospitals, said city workers also plan to amp up testing efforts.
He says nearly 25 percent of yesterday's positive cases were from just 20 hotspot ZIP codes.
Rockland County zip code has a 30 per cent rate, he said.
"The local governments' failure to not enforce the law has exacerbated this problem".
In New York City, the nine areas of concern amount to 25% of the city's COVID-19 infection rate, Mayor Bill de Blasio said during his Wednesday briefing. "I've said from day one, these public health rules apply to every religion, atheists - it just applies to every citizen of the State of NY, period".
The governor says they're targeting those clusters immediately to prevent community spread.
"Focus on the clusters", Cuomo said. These clusters amount to over 20% of cases across the state, according the governor.
"It's not a function for the local government to say to someone 'it would be nice if you wore a mask".
New York's daily rate of positive coronavirus tests climbed to 3.25 per cent over the last 24 hours, with a sharp increase in cases among Orthodox Jewish communities, authorities said Tuesday.
He criticized local governments for not doing enough to enforce compliance with mask orders.
"The virus is insidious, many people are asymptomatic and don't know they're infected and can spread the disease", he said.
In Orange County, the cluster is in a Monroe zip code that contains the Town of Palm Tree and within, the Village of Kiryas Joel.
"We have met with and talked to a number of community leaders and also a number of religious leaders". Cuomo said he spoke with Orthodox leaders today and they agreed to work with the state to improve compliance with coronavirus rules in their communities.
"We are making success accessible ensuring New Yorkers have the training and skills they need to seek new jobs and opportunities as we continue to battle this pandemic, "said Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul". Rapid testing turns around results in 15 minutes.
- Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court nomination personal for Christian women
- US judge suspends Trump ban on TikTok downloads
- NFL Postpones Titans/Steelers To Monday Or Tuesday
- Nearly 250 confirmed Covid-19 cases in Ireland today
- Sen. Mike Lee praises Supreme Court nominee Amy Cohen Barrett after meeting
- World's First Foldable Laptop from Lenovo
- Huge Lead Emerges in Mail Voting
- Stamkos out for remainder of Stanley Cup Final
- Amy Coney Barrett: darling of religious right nominated to the Supreme Court
- Record-chasing Nadal eases into French Open second round