Paytm had alleged that it was "arm-twisted" by the search engine major to comply with its biased Play Store policies "that are meant to artificially create Google's market dominance". Of those, essentially all (97%) already use the Play billing system. But until now, Google did not enforce it and took it lightly.
However, this won't be the case anymore.
So what qualifies for in-app purchases?
Google Takes an Apple Approach to Android Apps, Will Require 30% Cut of Play Store Revenue
On Monday, a federal judge in California's Northern District Court in Oakland heard testimony from Epic Games and Apple to determine whether Apple can continue to ban Fortnite, Epic's popular game, from its app store. Zomato has introduced an in-app game feature called the Zomato Premier League that allows users to predict about the IPL matches and earn rewards. Currently, Epic Games is involved in a legal battle with both Google and Apple. The DOJ is expected to file a lawsuit against Google as early as this week.
In a recent blog post, Google has shared some additional insights into some changes that they are going to bring in Android 12 next year.
A report suggests that the Modi government may soon announce India's own application store as a viable alternative to Google Play And Apple's App Store. The rules are strictly effective from September 30, 2020. This is a requirement for developers who offer in-app purchases of digital goods, with Google picking up a service fee in the process. The main difference between Apple and Android is that although Android charges a service fee too, however, if any developer does not want to pay that fee, Android does not make it a matter of ego like Apple does. Further, the revenue made from this will only assist them in developing the user experience.
All in all, developers and entrepreneurs have expressed deep concerns against Google's move. Indian developers also saw growth of more than 80 per cent in consumer spending from users outside of India, compared to the corresponding period past year. But now with the brand new coverage, they might require to make use of Google Play's built-in fee methodology and minimize 30% of that price to Google. It accused the company of violating its policies. Paytm's founder, Vijay Shekhar Sharma, said, "We, the country's digital startups, need to have a joint voice so that the government and the people will listen".
- Sen. Mike Lee praises Supreme Court nominee Amy Cohen Barrett after meeting
- Messi scores since failed exit as Barcelona thumps Villarreal for 4-0
- Pompeo to visit Japan, Mongolia, S.Korea
- Conservationists Warn 500,000 Sharks Could Be Killed For Covid-19 Vaccine
- The just-announced Pixel 5 has somehow already been unboxed
- Canada's Quebec expected to announce new restrictions as coronavirus cases rise
- Turkey, Greece reach understanding on 'general principles'
- NFL Postpones Titans/Steelers To Monday Or Tuesday
- Player of the Month: who should win?
- Health Department Concerned About Increase in COVID Cases Per 100,000