Two additional sources said the recommendation is to apply the stricter measures to Toronto, Peel Region and Ottawa.
The update is part of a worrisome trend that has been developing in Canada's most populous province, which has led to Premier Doug Ford announcing new restrictions for its three three hotspots.
The announcement came hours after Ontario reported 939 new cases of COVID-19, marking a new high in daily counts of the virus.
NDP Leader Andrea Horwath criticized Ford for waiting until Friday to announce the new restrictions.
The government will also cover up to 65 per cent of eligible wages through its subsidy program, but only until the end of December, and expand a well-used loan program by providing an added $10,000 that could be forgivable.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said Canada is experiencing a second wave of COVID-19.
He said the government wants to help those companies hang on, and keep their workers employed.
"It's shocking the Mr. Ford was the last person in the province to see that this crisis was coming", she said.
Williams would not outright say whether he recommended closing indoor dining and bars. A record 183 new cases were reported on Thursday.
Another four deaths were attributed to COVID-19, bringing the number of lives lost to the pandemic to 2,992.
Cabinet members were reportedly told that they would need to review and approve any new restrictions by 11 a.m. Friday.
An emotional Ford says he can't stress enough how hard this decision is, knowing how many businesses will be devastated and impacted as a result.
There are now 123 active cases of COVID-19 on reserves - the majority in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
"I truly believe, as we have since the beginning, that the people of Ontario will be there to support you", he said when asked about the future of those restaurants. The nation's capital has seen a sharp rise in new COVID-19 cases over recent weeks, along with outbreaks and deaths in long-term care homes.
Across Ontario, there are 225 people in hospital, the most since June 29.
Throughout the province, there are now 8,572 currently infected patients, which includes 433 in hospital (up by eight since Thursday) and 67 in intensive care (down by one).
Health officials said earlier this week that positive cases among seniors in Quebec have started to increase again.
"Wedding receptions scheduled this weekend may proceed in line with current public health measures", the government said.
- House Speaker Pelosi says she’ll talk about the 25th amendment on Friday
- Pence, Harris to clash in VP debate amid White House virus outbreak
- Facebook Approached FBI About Michigan Militia Six Months Ago
- Simona Halep stunned by Polish teenager Iga Swiatek
- Ontario allots $1.3 billion to enhance COVID-19 testing, contact tracing
- Dutchess County health officials strongly recommend flu vaccination this season
- Trump refuses to attend virtual presidential debate on October 15
- Man Utd sign ex-PSG striker Cavani on free transfer
- Clevinger emotional after elbow issue returns in NLDS Game 1
- Varosha: Turkey reopens deserted Cyprus resort but tourists will wait