With COVID-19 cases spiking in many parts of the country, Canadians are being advised to scale back on their holiday celebrations.
As of midnight Saturday, restaurants and bars will no longer be allowed to serve food inside in Toronto and the neighbouring Peel region as well as Ottawa, where most of the province's recent uptick in COVID-19 cases has occurred, the provincial government said.
It's the 12th straight day the province has exceeded the 500-case mark.
Dr. Vivek Goel, a former President and CEO of Public Health Ontario, agrees.
Last week, health officials warned that Ontario could see 1,000 new cases of COVID-19 a day by mid-October, and that rising infections among young people were driving the spread of the virus among all demographics.
Businesses in cities like Toronto, Ottawa and the Peel Region will receive the new restrictions.
Quebec has now reported a total of 85,191 cases and 5,950 deaths since the pandemic began. The 2.1 per cent positivity rate is the highest it has recorded since June 7.
The majority of new cases are in people under the age of 40: 484 of Friday's cases were confirmed in that cohort.
This means that of the nearly 3,000 Ontarians whose deaths are included in the provincial COVID-19 case data, it is unknown how many of them did in fact die because of COVID-19.
Canada's coronavirus case total is 178,117.
Additionally, others have criticized the Province's decision to close gyms, which haven't been significantly linked to the spread of the virus, while schools remain open and no cap for class sizes has been implemented. In addition, 724 patients have recently recovered. There are five known active cases.
The health unit said no person was listed as hospitalized nor are any people in intensive care.
As of Saturday, 213 patients are being treated for the virus in hospital and 48 are now in intensive care.
The Eastern Ontario Health Unit region stands at 325 confirmed positive cases. "In eight days", she emphasized.
Durham Region, Halton Region and Hamilton have each reported more than 20 COVID-19 cases.
The government says at least 217 people are in hospital with COVID-19 - including 51 in intensive care and 32 on ventilators - but not all medical centres have shared their numbers.
- Ontario reports record number of new COVID-19 cases
- Kim speaks before military parade
- New restrictions come in for Scotland’s pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes
- Trump administration targets Iran`s financial sector, sanctions major banks
- House Antitrust Committee Says Apple Has iOS Distribution "Monopoly"
- House Judiciary Subcommittee: Apple, Other Tech Giants Wield "Monopoly Power"
- Tech Tent: Giants under the cosh from Congress
- US Congressional report calls for antitrust action against tech giants
- Second Presidential Debate Officially Canceled After Trump Backs Out
- US antitrust committee says big tech companies are a monopoly