Dr. Dimyana Abdelmalek made that recommendation in a letter to county superintendents on Thursday.
Westmoreland County has now seen more than 100 deaths attributed to the coronavirus since the start of the pandemic in March.
"I am now recommending extending the pause through November 6, 2020", she writes in her letter.
This comes as Dr Colm Henry of the HSE today warned that the second wave of Covid-19 that Europe is now experiencing will be worse than the first wave in the spring this year. Among the counties with the most deaths, Philadelphia has, by far, the most, with 1,890. In the tri-county area Stearns County had 171 new cases, Sherburne County had 73 and Benton County had 28. That's a slight increase from the 1,179 people reported as being hospitalized Wednesday. No new deaths were announced Thursday.
The state has gathered the dashboards and websites of Vermont colleges that are reporting Covid cases and testing. They are two adult family homes, two assisted living facilities and two nursing homes.
The county is now monitoring 41 active COVID-19 cases, and 1,900 Putnam residents are no longer isolated after testing positive for the virus more than two weeks ago.
The comparative total number of deaths reported daily by the Department of Health stood at 643 on October 23.
But those communities account for 4.2 million people out of the state's population of 6.9 million, or about 61 percent of the population.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, patients with confirmed COVID-19 have mild to severe respiratory problems, with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath.
- Strong quake strikes Turkish coast and Greek island, killing at least 14
- 80 percent of COVID-19 patients have vitamin D deficiency
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Stroke Patients Infected with Covid-19 Take Longer Time to Recover
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Walmart pulls guns and ammo from store displays, citing potential ‘civil unrest’
- Almost 1.7 million Oregonians have voted with 6 days to go
- Coronavirus cases continue to climb in Pike County
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Long-term immunity against coronavirus doubtful as antibodies fall rapidly