The 24-hour period started Thursday morning. The decisions are part of the court's so-called shadow docket, in which the court issues emergency orders and summary decisions outside the main docket of argued cases and decisions.
It's hard to think of a decision that turns that guidance more on its head than the one the Eighth Circuit handed down on Thursday evening, disrupting on October 29 a policy that had been put in place in July.
Chief Justice Pat Roggensack, writing for the majority, said the counties were asking the court for an advisory opinion "explaining what election laws they are free to disregard".
The Onondaga County Board of Elections is at 1000 Erie Blvd. Doing so readies ballots for counting on Election Day and will speed up the release of results.
Given those changes, "Vermont is not an accurate comparison for the assertion Justice Kavanaugh has made", Condos wrote, and asked for a correction.
"However well-intentioned and appropriate from a policy perspective in the context of a pandemic during a presidential election, it is not the province of a state executive official to re-write the state's election code", the decision added.
The N.C. State Board of Elections' agreement with left-leaning plaintiffs will stand and allow a nine-day period following November 3's general election for the return of absentee ballots.
So far in the city, more than 100,000 people have voted by mail or in-person.
Voters may drop off their mail-in ballot at the official ballot drop box located inside the entrance of the Pike County Administration Building (506 Broad St.in Milford) from 8:30 a.m.to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The justices on Wednesday rebuffed a separate bid by President Donald Trump's re-election campaign to block the deadline extension through federal courts. A Facebook policy on late-in-the-cycle political ads prohibits the state from running new ads on the social media platform, restricting one pathway for the state to emphasize the need to avoid the mail at this point.
"Indeed, the president pro tempore of the North Carolina Senate and the speaker of its House of Representatives have intervened on behalf of the General Assembly to oppose revisions to its work".
"Even with the deadline extension, we encourage voters to return their absentee ballot as soon as possible and ensure it is postmarked", said Karen Brinson Bell, executive director of the State Board of Elections.
"During a pandemic a reasonable person entitled to vote by mail transmits the ballot earlier than normal or uses another approved method", the decision said.
- United States economy notches record growth in third quarter
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Samsung Galaxy F12 Might Be Launched Soon: What to Expect
- Turkey Vows 'Legal, Diplomatic Actions' over Charlie Hebdo Cartoon
- Mumbai Indians secure playoff spot, defeat Royal Challengers Bangalore by 5 wickets
- Moderna received US$1.1B in deposits for COVID vaccines in quarter
- BCCI announces the official Team India Squad for Australia Tour 2020-21
- Stroke Patients Infected with Covid-19 Take Longer Time to Recover
- Almost 1.7 million Oregonians have voted with 6 days to go