Highs will top out in the low 40s each day.
A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Heavy rainfall possible in most areas as we ring in the New Year. The National Weather Service issued winter storm advisories for Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Nebraska and IL.
Power outages and tree damage are likely, and travel could be "nearly impossible", NWS said. The darker pink areas could have two-tenths to four-tenths of an inch of ice accumulation.
TONIGHT: Mostly cloudy and calm. East wind 5 to 8 miles per hour.
People in Iowa saw about a foot of snow in some places, and parts of Wisconsin and Nebraska saw about eight inches of snow. High clouds today with light winds today. More than 4 inches of snow were reported in Chicago suburbs.
Wet, warmer weather
Skies will clear for New Year's Eve night, but then separate storm systems will bring a mix of rain, sleet, and snow during a very active stretch of weather from New Year's Day through the end of the weekend. Northwest wind 5 to 14 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 22 miles per hour.
The NWS is urging residents to stay home as driving conditions will be hard or impossible.
Numerous showers in multiple waves are becoming likely for Friday on New Years Day. It only takes a little bit of ice to create slippery roads. Twelve of the fatalities and 40 of the serious injuries involved a substance-impaired driver.
As it is still a few days out, we'll keep an eye on this because it could change. The map can also be downloaded as a free app for Apple and Android devices.
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Emergency U.S. Authorization For AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine Likely In April
- Many injured as natural disaster topples buildings in Croatia
- USA congressman-elect Luke Letlow dies of COVID-19
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Zhang Zhan: citizen journalist jailed for challenging China's virus story
- Washington Football Team releases QB Dwayne Haskins after two seasons
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Despite Fawad, Rizwan’s heroics, New Zealand win first Pakistan Test