A loss of five hundred doses is a major blow because the supply of vaccines is limited, and the distribution has been more sluggish than expected.
The vaccine will be transported to centres through 1222 vehicles in ice lined refrigerators (ILRs), said Health and Family Welfare Department Director and Vaccine in-charge Bijay Panigrahi.
Aurora Health initially said the doses were accidentally taken out from refrigeration after a pharmacy technician discovered the vials outside the refrigerator on December 25.
Each vial contains 10 doses. Police arrested him on suspicion of reckless endangerment, adulterating a prescription drug and criminal damage to property.
Investigators believe the man removed the vaccine 'knowing they would not be usable, ' a police news release from Thursday says.
"We arranged a waiting room, a vaccination room and a monitoring room at each health centre, as required under the guidelines", Bhosale told reporters. He is now held at the Ozaukee County jail.
Aurora said the unidentified worker removed 57 vials of the vaccine from a refrigerator last weekend.
Mission Director Lakshmanan S said the Health Department does not want to leave any stone unturned to find out any lacuna in the system before administering the vaccine to the people of the state. The biotechnology company reassured the hospital that the spoiled vaccines would not harm the persons who received them.
The street retail value of the discarded lot was estimated to be between $8,000 and $11,000.
Grafton police said that the FBI and the Food and Drug Administration have now joined an investigation into the incident.
A motive for destroying the vaccine was not initially specified, but Aurora said no other employees were involved.
Aurora declined to provide additional information, but said they would provide more details Thursday.
More than 40 people in West Virginia mistakenly received the COVID-19 antibody treatment instead of the vaccine.
- Gilligan's Island actor Dawn Wells dies aged 82 from COVID-19
- Pence Sued by GOP Congressman in Fight Over Competing Electors
- LMPD officer who obtained Breonna Taylor search warrant to be fired
- Sen Perdue quarantines for virus exposure ahead of GA runoff
- European Union mobilises emergency assistance for earthquake-hit Croatia
- Stay-At-Home extended- hospitals in crisis care mode
- Masks on - new restrictions on Central Coast from midnight
- Emergency U.S. Authorization For AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine Likely In April
- World Health Organization lists Pfizer vaccine for emergency use
- VP Pence: Election results are not up to me