Health Minister Christine Elliott says there are 778 new cases in Toronto, 614 in Peel Region, 213 in York Region, 172 in Durham, 151 in London-Middlesex and 151 in Hamilton.
There have now been 42,419 doses of vaccine administered across the province.
Ontario says that so far, approximately 50,000 residents have received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, while almost 3,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine have also been administered.
"... Almost 3,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine were administered to 24 long-term care homes by January 3".
On Dec. 30, Ontario received almost 53,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine from the federal government. An estimated 2 million vaccine doses are expected to arrive throughout the winter during Phase One of the province's vaccine implementation plan. Back in December, Anita Quidangen became the first person in Ontario to be safely inoculated against the virus.
There has been growing criticism over the number of vaccines available and how many are going into the arms of the most vulnerable.
A decision to temporarily close immunization clinics over the holidays was met with widespread outrage last week, prompting Hillier to admit the move was a mistake. Premier Doug Ford has acknowledged "bumps in the road" and said the government is "ramping it up". "As we have been since March, our government is here to support provinces in getting the situation under control in their jurisdictions", Trudeau said.
The government is also developing protocols to use the Pfizer vaccine more flexibly, allowing it to be used farther away from hospitals without endangering its effectiveness. Provincial data indicates that 22 long-term care residents infected with COVID-19 have died in Ontario over the past 24 hours.
"We've already lost too many elders in long-term care".
They were hard hit in the first wave and the second wave is again taking its toll on long-term care and retirement homes. Most of the province's newest cases are in five hot spots in Southern Ontario.
- Germany mulls while Denmark OKs delaying second COVID-19 vaccine shot
- Texas A&M runs past North Carolina in Orange Bowl, 41-27
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- COVID19 in the UK: First person receives Oxford- AstraZeneca jab
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- LA activists call for arrest of 'Soho Karen' Miya Ponsetto in march
- Exercise and Stress: Get Moving to Manage Stress
- Trump Heard On Tape Urging State Official To ‘Find’ Votes For Him
- Spurs assistant makes history as first woman to lead National Basketball Association team
- Bills Will Host The Indianapolis Colts For Home Playoff Game